"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Dog Love

Fashion mags are an obsession. So are dogs. So when I read this quote from Shirley MacLaine in the newest issue of W, I was utterly fascinated.

If the dog is really a companion and sleeps in the same bed with you and you have the same dreams and the same thoughts, you become a dog. You put yourself into what that dog's feelings are. That's what I've done, and maybe that's what love is. I've never done that with a man--never had that sense of amalgamation. It's kind of a spiritual thing.

For the record, I definitely have that amalgamation with a man--my husband. But I know what she means about the dogs.



Although ours don't actually sleep in our bed. At night, they snooze on their round, well-stuffed dog nests. During the day, they nap on the floor.


I definitely dream about my dog/s (like two nights ago, as described in yesterday's blog.) The dogs of my past sometimes appear in my dreams.

Even if I don't sleep with the girls, I share my second most important space--the sofa in our downstairs sitting room (site of the big tv and other essential entertainment equipment, plus books.) When shopping for it, I wanted one that would suit me and my dogs. Had to be practical, comfortable, and large enough for all 3 of us at once. (The husband prefers his armchair.)


When I'm at home as much as I will be in coming weeks, and especially when the spouse is travelling the world, as he regularly does, I rely on my beasts for companionship. And they rely on me for hugs and cuddles--and food.

There's a fun dog quiz at Gone to the Dogs. You'll find the link to the quiz on the right sidebar. Enjoy, and do post your answers to "what kind of dog are you?" in my comments area!


No comments: