"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Glad Tidings

Lots of them!


Last evening, reading the current Publisher's Weekly, I spotted a blurb about my own cousin in the "Deals" section. Six months prior to publication, his debut novel A Good and Happy Child was just optioned for a film. A scriptwriter is at work. That should definitely enhance his family's Christmas merriment!

Christmas parcels for our relatives are in the hands of the US Postal Service now, headed for such diverse places as the South, the Upper Midwest, and France.

I've given the girls a much-needed holiday manicure. No more click-click-click-click across the floorboards or the Italian tile upstairs.

My Friday night dinner menu is set. Apart from the meat course, it will be a theme meal--all red and green. I didn't start out planning that way, it just happened, so now I'm having fun with it. Did you know the little goldfish snacks come in red and green, specially for Christmas? Now you do!

Today the Chap will attend his fifth party in as many days. We had the two at the weekend. On Monday his entire office held a party, during which he and his fellow new hires had to sing a song in front of everybody. He won the draw for a poinsettia plant! His floor had their own party on Tuesday. And today, his department is going out for a festive lunch at a restaurant.

I've wrapped all my presents for the Chap and put them under the tree. Our stockings are in place, hanging above the downstairs fireplace. I've filled the ones that are my responsibility.



The best tidings of all:

I have a completely free day for writing.


No comments: