"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, October 15, 2007

Turning a Corner

We spent a blustery afternoon at the cottage, doing a significant portion of the end-of-season tasks. Seasons, rather, because it's a 3-season residence. With evening temperatures so variable, in and out of the 30's, we needed to turn off the water and drain the pipes. My duties consisted of emptying and turning off the refrigerator, stripping the master bedroom, bringing the porch furniture indoors, lavatories, watching television (the cable isn't turned off yet) and trying to keep warm. It was one of those days with gale force winds whipping down the Bay--Closing-up Day is nearly always like that. Not a bad thing...unpleasant weather means we're not terribly fussed by the end-of-season rituals. We know the weather is only going to worsen!

Strangely, the foliage isn't very far advanced round the Big Lake. I'd hoped for a better show. There are a few things the Chap left for another time, so I may still have a chance to see the full autumn glory.

There was plenty of colour on our homeward drive. We stopped so I could get a nice shot of big bend in the Suncook River.



We were almost home when I spotted this pair of deer in the horse pasture.



They look a lot like the pair I saw in my neighbour's drive a couple of weeks ago.



I'm enjoying a completely free day. I've already practiced the mandolin, read the newspaper, listened to a radio program about network evening news. I intend to empty my email in-box of the 100 messages (read but not dealt with). Then I'll do the same thing to the kitchen and bathroom cabinets.

Unless I decide to focus on the chapter-in-progress. The primary scene happens to be one of the most gruesome executions in English history, so I'll be glad to finish it off.


No comments: