"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, November 16, 2007

Go Ahead--Shoot Me!

I got shot three times yesterday.

It was one of those truly busy days. Stopped in at the Post Office to collect offical mail. Had my fourth mandolin lesson. Progress report: I'm now playing Beethoven! My first complete and recogniseable piece of music is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. I picked up sandwiches and baklava at a favourite bakery in the city, bore them to Diocesan House and treated one of the Bishop's canons to lunch. He then walked me to the State House where I had a special "Insiders Tour" of the building. Not only did we see all the cool secret staircases and safes (where they used to keep the money), we learned lots of lore.

And, best of all, we climbed all the way to the top--walked on the roof.

Here's a rooftop view of the Legislative Office Building (grey stone, pointy roof), where I spend lots of time.



Our guide (a constituent of mine) took us up inside the Dome! Where nobody can go!

And that's where I was shot the first time. See.



Plainly I am very excited to be there! I had left my camera in the car, so luckily our guide brought hers. (She took the photos).

The 360-degree view of the city and surrounding hills was terrific.

After the tour, I drove through pouring rain to my doctor's office. Got some prescriptions filled. That's where I was shot the other two times. Two icky jabs--a tetanus shot and a flu shot. I'd never had a flu shot before, because I've only once had the flu and I'm not in a high-risk category. But the good doctor persuaded me I should do it. I hate hate hate shots but I was very brave. "Don't you want to sit down?" asked the nice nurse. "No, I'll stand," I said bravely. I didn't faint or anything and it was over so quickly. (It wasn't till later that my arm started hurting and I began to fell yucky.)

This morning I phoned my mother and played my Beethoven piece. She was very amazed and proud.

I saw snow flurries fairly often today, off and on, though it was about 38 degrees. After two shocking days of 60 degree temperatures, the air suddenly got cold.

Today is the Feast of Saint Margaret.



This not so saintly Margaret will be celebrating tonight.

Off to a dinner party....


No comments: