"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, May 11, 2008


I'm skipping over yesterday's activity--for the time being--to share today's.

After the Pentecost service at church, we went here...

...where the view was looking spring-like, with some trees leafing out and others not at all yet.

...and the girls were alert to everything happening on the neighbours' dock. (They were grilling steaks for Mother's Day.)

Before lunch, I took them for a long walk.

After lunch, while the Chap turned on water and unshuttered windows, I swept the screened porch and dusted surfaces and checked email (making the adjustment to dial-up).

In fact I did very little housekeeping. Mostly I was groundskeeping.

The leaf and pine needle drop was massive. I've never seen so much debris. I raked and raked and piled and piled and repeatedly filled both wheelbarrows with my rakings and wheeled them to the edge of the property for dumping. I cleaned off steps, cleared paths. I was working like a maniac, because this was such a lovely, cool, slightly breezy day, perfect for such tasks. And it's only going to get hotter and buggier, so might as well get it over with. What I didn't do was pick up sticks. There are a zillion sticks (conservative estimate).

Under the damp matting of leaves, I found this split acorn, from which a mighty oak is attempting to grow:

I practiced the mandolin on the porch for a little while.

The Cottage on the Big Lake is now ready to be occupied. The buoy--which I custom painted years ago--is in place as an indicator.

Having reviewed my schedule of meetings and appointments, I've now got a fairly good idea when I'll be able to have my first overnight stay of the season.

On this Mother's Day I spoke to my mother twice.

The first time I rang, I discovered that my family were wakened at 5 a.m. by tornado sirens, which roared for at least an hour while twisters ravaged their city and surrounding area. So many power lines were down that the sheriff's department ordered everyone to stay in their homes for a while. Though for a time during the tempest my loved ones huddled in a corridor listening bulletins on the emergency radio, they did not lose power.

When I rang back this evening to check in, I was relieved to hear they were had a sumptuous Mother's Day feast, accompanied by Belgian beers supplied by my brother. The meal and beverages, if not the weather, sounded quite appealing. I regret we couldn't be there to join in the festivities.

Soon I'll blog about how I spent yesterday. Promise!

No comments: