"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Restoration



Coming back from the church on Monday--right after posting my storm report--I saw trucks working within a couple of miles of home. Yesterday when I headed out to a meeting, I meet a convoy of 7 utility vehicles on our road: 2 power company trucks with cherry pickers, a tree truck with cherry picker, and 4 white pickups with power company logos on their doors. They workers were conferring, or having lunch, or both.

I pulled over, rolled down my window, and told the men how glad I was to see them.

"We know!" said one. He described the issues in our neighbourhood, in technical terms that meant little to me. And added, "You'll have power back sometime this afternoon."

At my diocesan meeting, I learned I was not the only "power-less" person. Several were still waiting, though some had generators. The Bishop had got his electricity back the previous day. Because our business was so important, and difficult, we kept working past our usual time but took a "phone break." I rang the Lodge--the Chap had headed home early to monitor the situation.

He reported the good news I was so hoping to hear.

Reaching the Lodge, I spied the lights of our Christmas tree glowing in the darkness.

Such a strange evening! One of relief. One of sheer exhaustion: keeping 2 fires going by day and 1 all night is no easy business. The house is toasty warm again, there's no discernible damage to our water system. I finally saw with my own eyes the news footage of shoes being flung at my President, which I'd heard about on the radio.

We slept like rocks.

Having emerged from the abyss, I am terribly concerned for those still in it--they number nearly 80,000. Whole communities are still affected, may not have power back till next week. Several districts have closed schools until January.

After 5 days of focussing on nothing but trying to stay warm enough to survive, it's quite a mind-shift, confronting Real Life again! I was so ahead in Christmas prep, now am behind in posting parcels and sending Christmas cards. I've got 3 parties in the next 4 days--my festive feelings are greatly tempered by what I've lately endured, but I do look forward to being with people after such a long period of isolation. Tomorrow there's a day-long legislative orientation. And I must sign off on the bills I'm co-sponsoring and return the paperwork to Legislative Services.

Today we've got snow, more expected later this week, with a return of extreme temperatures at the weekend.

The work crew that visited my area yesterday is somewhere else now, busily restoring light and warmth to others....


No comments: