"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Mostly Maine

Invisible Sunday Strollers at our front door.



Today's Sunday Stroll is in fact a Saturday Roll. Yesterday we drove to the coast for shopping, lunch, and scenery.

Entering Maine, we pass what I refer to as "The World's Biggest Lobstah Tank."



Going north, we took the Maine Turnpike. You aren't in Maine very long before you notice you've left the Live Free or Die state of New Hampshire. No offence to Mainers, but your highway signs are bossy! Buckle your seat belt. Tough drunk driving laws. Do This. Don't Do That. They're all along the tollway. (And speaking of that, I miss the old toll cards, those were fun.)

Oh, and then there's the gigantic sign announcing, Maine: The Way Life Should Be. Um, okay, whatever. Just so you know, not everybody agrees with that slogan. The Chap's grandmother came from Maine, and her definition of the way life should be involved living mostly in Massachusetts and summering in New Hampshire.

(I'm just teasing you, Maine. I love you, I really, really do. And not just your super-popular coastal bits...which today, we pretty much had to ourselves.)

First stop, the Tom's of Maine Outlet Store in Kennebunk, so the Chap could stock up on his favourite toiletries. Interesting automobile decoration spotted in the parking lot:



Who knew Maine has mosquitoes in the wintertime?

Heading south on Route 1, we stop in Wells at the "dinah"--surprise, surprise!



The Maine Diner doesn't just have pie of the day. Even better, it offers a cream pie of the day. Wonder what it could be?



When you walk inside you see the soup vats behind the counter. Above them hangs a photo of the "Soup Nazi" from Seinfeld--and it's personally autographed! So you just know the soup's good.

As usual, I was feeling crabby. By that I mean I was in the mood for an all-crab lunch, starting with crab soup...



...followed by the best crabcake in the world. Seriously.



I'll admit, my favourite diner is always the one I happen to be eating in. I've been in a lot of them. Now that my Maine Diner craving is satisfied--for now--I think next time we should hit Moody's in Waldoboro.

The Cream Pie of the Day turned out to be Coconut Cream. We shared a slice. Fantastic.



Our southward journey continued in the direction of York. We turned off 1-A and followed the road to Long Sands Beach.

I see the sea!



Look--Nubble Point!



Unfortunately, I didn't get a shot of all the snow on the beach, to freak out Southern friends and family who probably can't conceive of such a thing. The tide was way, way in, but trust me, there was snow and ice on that shore!

The inevitable money shot.



The inevitable money shot with my head. Which would've been lots better if I hadn't been squinting from the sun's glare, with Medusa hair whipped up by the inevitable fierce wind.



But my ears were turning to ice and my eyes watering...I wasn't standing around in the cold for a long session of do-overs.

Next stop, Kittery. Scored some "bahgains" at the Coldwater Creek Outlet. We crossed the bridge to Portsmouth and headed for the Macy's in Newington, where I stimulated my own state's economy with some tax-free winter sale purchases in the Ladies' Department.

Heading home through Durham, we passed Wagon Hill Farm on the perfect day for sledding.




I even got a shot with the wagon on the hill!



Icebergs in an inlet off of Great Bay.



Almost home--view of the mountain behind the Lodge, from the other side.



We arrived home right at the dogs' suppertime. After feeding them, a long session with my free weights, to burn off that decadent--and delicious--lunch!

PS To stroll along with others, go here!


No comments: