"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Grey Skies, Bright Trees

Celebration Month started out nicely for me. On Friday the Chap gave me this pretty yellow kalanchoe.



At the moment he's in the garage working on some other gift.

Downpours all day yesterday as predicted. The diocesan meeting was fantastic. And I was able to shoot this non-traditional side view of the Capitol dome with the eagle in profile, from a special vantage I know.



After the meeting we went to the Currier Art Gallery in Manchester to see the new exhibit, a collection of drawings and prints. All centuries and styles, from Durer, Rembrandt, Piranesi, Roualt, Daumier, Hopper, Kuhn, and so on, to our fave Aponovich, our state's artist laureate. All the engravings and mezzotints got me thinking about black & white photography, which used to be a speciality of mine. And then last night seeing Ansel Adams's work on NH guy Ken Burns's National Parks documentary was even more inspiring.

I'm sort of advance-planning to create a series of b&w pictures while we're in London and Antwerp.

But today I'm all about the colours. Because they're everywhere I look.

Ornamental cherry at the church door.



Reflection in the river.



A dirt road in our neighbourhood.



On the town line.



Lots going on and lots of writing getting done, too, and lots more celebrating to come. The sun is out, and I have an excursion this afternoon, so maybe I'll capture some "sunny day" views of pretty trees.

Thanks for stopping by to stroll. If you want to see other people's local colours, head for Aisling's blog.


No comments: