"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, March 14, 2010


This post in no way rises to the level of a Sunday Stroll. The weather is partly to blame, but so are my activities and responsibilities.

Yesterday morning, this was all the snow remaining on the large upper deck, aka "the party deck."

It was soon gone. But that wasn't the end of the story...stay tuned!

The Chap left at 10 a.m. for the airport, to catch a noontime flight. But that wasn't the end of the story...stayed tuned!

My Friend From The North Country was returning from Jerusalem (via Virginia, via Baltimore) and I had the happy task of picking her up at the same aiport from which the Chap should've departed at noontime. At one point I expected them to meet up in the corridors of BWI, he arriving, she departing. However, the Baltimore to Manchester flight (i.e. the plane coming to pick him up in NH) was struck by lightning en route and had to return to BWI, and of course it took additional time for the crew and passengers to de-plane and board the new equipment.

So, when I arrived at MHT to pick up FFTNC, the Chap was still waiting at his gate for his departing flight. Not that I saw him...I didn't learn this until he rang me on arrival.

Here's our glowing girl, returned from her Jerusalem pilgrimage of discovery.

She was bearing gifts...lovely and thoughtful and meaningful gifts.

I drove her as far as Tilton and at Starbucks we met up with her ride back to the North Country.

By the time I returned to the Lodge, it was snowing. So we had no snow on the deck only for a matter of hours. The wind roared and the rain poured all night long but not quite with the same force as during the recent Terrible Windstorm. This morning there was a weird slushy substance coating the decks and steps, and underneath was water. Basically the ground was covered with slushy stuff.

I went to church, where we had a visiting priest--my dear friend who also happens to be one of the Bishop's canons. He presided at the Eucharist and preached.

After the service we had our usual book study forum. We are reading Monk Habits for Everyday People, about implementing monastic life rule into our daily lives. And our visitor was a monk who lived in a monastery for three years, and from him we gained all sorts of insights into the real life and habits and spirituality of monks.

The rain continues to fall. Doesn't matter. It's an afternoon for couch potato-ing with the dogs and lap-topping.

So much cool stuff is happening in my life and other lives. So even though it's such a grey, drippy day, my mood couldn't be better.

Things are so very interesting and exciting that I'm not jealous (much) of the Chap, who is in Washington, D.C. and staying somewhere utterly fantastic where I've often stayed myself.

Thanks for stopping by...hope your weekend is a drier!

No comments: