"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Primary Day

Even if I hadn't known it was voting day, the national media are all over the story here in NH.

I met all my deadlines for this week's articles and tasks and web updates. There weren't many of them but it's nice to have a clear head and light schedule.

After lunchtime the dogs and I returned to the Lodge--my legal residence--so I can vote. I'm catching up on newspapers and having a cup of tea. In a little while I'll head out to the polling place. After that, a bit of shopping, a dinner date with the Chap, and a diocesan meeting that we attendly jointly.

The highly touted high turnout that was expected might have been a myth. Anecdotally I'm hearing that numbers seem low. The Chap voted on his way to the office, at the height of morning workday rush, and was only the 45th person.

For the first election in quite a long time, I shall not find my name on the ballot. It's a rite of passage for me. A positive one. There's more legislative responsbility next month, but this period of public service is swiftly winding down.


No comments: