"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, October 15, 2010

Endings and Beginnings

A beautiful October week concludes with this wet, dark day with powerful wind and flood warnings for the state's rivers. As typical of a New Hampshire autumn as the crisp air, blinding sunshine, and clear blue skies we've been basking in for so long.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday passed in a blur. There's photographic evidence to remind me of my activities.

Bidding Jewel and Ruth farewell as I depart for a diocesan convocation meeting on Tues. evening. They are my fashion icons, so I often wear black & white--which they do every day of their lives. As usual, Jewel is dignified before the camera and Ruth is goofing around.



Wednesday was my day of "lasts". Last meeting of the Fish & Game & Marine Resources Committee and our final Executive Session on our sole remaining bill. The State House cafeteria provided a free lunch for legislators and staff. I don't usually eat much at midday, but couldn't resist the clam chowder, half a tuna wrap, spanikopita (the caterer is Greek) and a brownie.

In the afternoon the General Court gathered in their respective chambers for the Veto Session. I used my laptop web cam to take this shot--a few minutes later the Chap was seated in the gallery directly behind me to watch the proceedings. The Assistant House Clerk read out his name as my "special guest."



The House overrode one veto. There's was plenty of hugging and chatter and farewells, and our business didn't take terribly long. We concluded with memorial remarks on behalf of a fallen serviceman from Goffstown and two former colleagues. One of them had died the previous day and was someone I knew--she and I entered the House the same year, and she was a monumental human being and a force for good in the world and I shall never, ever forget her address during one of our most intense and emotional debates, it had me in tears. She intended to serve only one term and did so with distinction, she accomplished the primary goal she set for herself. And throughout my second term I missed her presence very much. To say that I was devastated to learn of her death is a massive understatement.

After the session there was a farewell reception at the Upham-Walker House.

When I arrived home, I found the neighbours cruising round the little lake in their bright red boat.



Yesterday was filled with diocesan business...creating a communications plan for one of my committees, followed by a music lesson, followed by the Diocesan Council meeting, interspersed with lots of weird stuff and disappointments and re-orientation. By the time I returned to the Lodge, I was absolutely shattered.

So, a quiet, un-busy rainy day at home with the dogs is exactly what I need. After this week of finality, I need to start something new!

Enjoy your weekend.

No comments: