"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hot & Cold

What's hot?

This tilapia fish I recently cooked for our dinner. I loved the colours...and it tasted even better than it photographed!



What's not? These icicles.



And this ice waterfall.



The Chap and I spent this beautiful Saturday at a training session for facilitators of a diocesan leadership institute to be held later in the year. We didn't mind, it was far too cold to be outdoors and the windows of the historic parish hall offered lovely views of one of the prettiest towns in our region. The ice formations hanging from the gutters captured my attention when I passed by the windows--I didn't have to go outside to get these shots! In the background of the first shot is the stone church building with steeple. (The congregation formed in 1803, this building was erected in the late 1820's and retains its wooden its box-type pews with doors and latches--very quaint!)

We saw lots of people we know well and know slightly. We were fed on clam chowder and soup and fresh bread and salad and sticky cinnamon buns and butter toffee. On our drive home, the late afternoon light on the snowy fields and hills and rivers and marshes was just lovely.

The Lodge has its share of killer icicles, too. I bashed the ones off the overhang on the back deck, which hovered dangerously over the girls' water bowl. Let me re-phrase that: their ice bowl, because the water keeps freezing hard as a glacier--good thing they're indoors nearly all the time these days!

My Thursday meetings were postponed due to excessive snow. A familiar tale. I didn't mind a(nother) quiet day at the Lodge with the dogs and a writing project and plenty of hot beverage-sipping.

Our temperatures are about to plunge even farther...it's a little unnerving.


No comments: