"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, July 01, 2011

His Rose



The gallica rose Charles de Mills always reaches its peak of bloom on the Chap's birthday. Even though most of my roses are a trifle tardy this year, this stunner was spot on time and waiting for us with a marvellous display when we returned yesterday from our trip.

It's my spouse's natal day and Canada Day. Had we stayed in Montreal, he'd have fireworks on his birthday. Instead of that, he chose to spend a few days at the lake cottage with his brother and sister, visiting from their respective states (MN & PA). They haven't all been together for their big brother's birthday since--oh, longer than I can calculate.

I'm heading up there later with a massive birthday rose bouquet, to join them for a festive cookout. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the company of Ruth & Jewel, overjoyed to be back at the Lodge after their stay at the kennel.

I didn't think the branches of my John Davis rose could hold any more blossoms than it had when we departed. He keeps surprising me with ever more blooms!




No comments: