"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, May 04, 2012

Bird Men

Well, factually, male birds. This morning the male evening grosbeak migrated to our bird feeder. Last year and in 2010 he returned on May 5, so he's a day early this year.




It was Meet & Greet week in our diocese, and the nominees for our next bishop were visiting, meeting people day and night, dining and praying and taking part in all manner of activity. Every time I headed north, south, east or west from the Lodge, I passed a neighbour's stubble field where a turkey flock likes to hang out. Yesterday I spotted about two dozen birds, including a fully feathered turkey cock. No sign of them this morning, when I headed to Concord to meet a friend for lunch and do some shopping for the lake cottage (and Mother's Day!) On the way home, I drove slowly by the field and saw the cock with two hens, obviously trying to impress them with his bulk and his plumage. I stopped and hopped out of the car with my camera. The smaller, skinnier birds darted for the underbrush. Mr. Big remained long enough for me to take several photos, then sauntered off after his women.




I wanted to warn him that it's unwise to make oneself so very conspicuous on the day turkey hunting season opens!

No comments: