"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, December 03, 2012



November remains a blur--largely due to my participation in National Novel Writing Month. I succeeded in writing 50,000 words of a novel--plus a little bit more--on the 29th, and became a validated and certified "winner"! It was a great chance to do something I've always sort of thought I might like to try. Because of travel and other events, I was never able to commit to the full month. And I really needed all that time. There were only 2 days that I didn't write anything at all. Most days I met my quota and some days I exceeded it.

We had a little snow in November. Here's the male cardinal adjusting to the change.



We had warm, pleasant weather in the latter part of the month...then another small snow event on the 1st of December, after enough cold weather to make ice on the little lake. Yesterday it warmed up, creating a thick and very dramatic fog. I shot this photo on the way back from church. A huge flock of wild ducks (many more than appear in the picture) were standing on the rapidly melting ice, or paddling around. They quacked at me!



Last night I attended Handel's Messiah at the big Episcopal church downtown--an annual pilgrimage. Same soloists as last year. Wonderful, marvellous!

Still getting my life back on track, after being in hibernation throughout November. I do need to finish the novel I was writing, but I'm enjoying catching up on reading and Christmas preparations. And the parties begin this weekend!

No comments: