"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, January 01, 2013

2013: A Fine Beginning!



This celebratory photo dates from 2012, taken in my favourite London bar on the eve of my return to the States. It adequately conveys my mood on this, the first day of 2013.

Here at the Lodge, in accordance with our custom, we opened the bottle of bubbly just before midnight in London, and ushered in the UK New Year with a toast. With a repeat at midnight in New England.

Today I learned that, thanks to my friends Kristine and Victoria at One London One, I'm nominated for a blogger award.



This honour comes with certain requirements.

1. Thank the person who nominated you. (Many thanks, Victoria & Kristine!)
2. Add the ‘One Lovely Blog Award’ image to your post.
3. Share seven things about you.
4. Pass the award on to seven nominees.
5. Include this set of rules.
6. Inform your nominees* by posting a comment on their blogs. (I'll also send email notification.)


Seven Things About Me


1. My first appearance on stage came very early in my life...while in utero. When she was slightly pregnant, my mother played an Oriental princess in a children's play.

2. I was partly raised by a Weimaraner. This explains a lot. For example: my love of dogs, my habit of sitting or lying on the floor, the fact that I sometimes bark when very excited, my loyalty and devotion to persons dear to me.

3. My early novels were published prior to my 30th birthday.

4. I love to eat calamari.

5. As well as studying at UK universities, I've made between 35 and 40 trips to Britain and/or Ireland. (I gave up counting at the 30th one, but I daresay my husband knows exactly how many. He's good at metrics.)

6. I cannot think of a single county/shire in England that I've not visited.

7. I currently possess 2 titles: The Hon. Margaret Porter (came from holding a state office), and Lady Margaret Porter (bestowed upon me at Christmas). I don't use either one...dread of pretension and fear of an attack of the giggles.


In choosing my nominees, I'm highlighting writers, readers, travellers, dog people. Drumroll....

Seven Nominees


1. Melissa Jensen
2. Lauren Royal's Crumbs From my Keyboard
3. Thomas at My Porch
4. Isabella & Loretta, the Two Nerdy History Girls
5. Scandalous Women
6. Sarah at Reading the Past
7. Anita, the Disorganised Author


Today marks the 27th birthday of a very special horse--Fling, who appears in Kissing a Stranger (eBook currently on sale for 99 cents at Amazon US,, Barnes & Noble and for 77p at Amazon UK.) If you search, you'll find him pictured on the cover of the digital edition of KAS.



A very happy, healthy, prosperous, productive New Year to all!

No comments: