"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day & The Love Spoon

Happy Valentine's Day!

What better time to release a new Ebook? Well, actually a novella with bonus material. It's my first truly very new work in quite a few years, which is quite exciting. Last year's Ebook releases were backlist titles.

You can purchase The Love Spoon at these vendors:


The Love Spoon for Kindle
The Love Spoon for Nook
The Love Spoon for Kobo
The Love Spoon on Smashwords



A love spoon is a traditional Welsh love token, carved from wood and featuring hearts in the design. My cover art, created by illustrator Ravven, used my photograph of the spoon I purchased in North Wales. It hangs in our dining room.



In this tale, Gwendolyn Pryce and Hugo Meredith meet at a family wedding in Wales in the late 18th century. As well as struggling to accept their differences, they also discover they share a connection to a hafod, a Welsh hill farm, in Snowdonia.

This novella was (as usual) inspired by my having spent time in the region. My grandparents were fond of Betws-y-coed, which I've visited three (I think) times. My own Welsh forbears migrated from Wales to Chester, so it also features in the story. It's among my favourite cities in Britain, and I've been there repeatedly as well.

Here are two views taken from Pont-y-pair bridge, mentioned in The Love Spoon





You can see more of Ravven's wonderful work here. I'm delighted with the way she took a spoon photo I sent her and my basic concept and turned it into such an eye-catching book cover!

In home news, we still have massive amounts of snow on the ground. But we've had sunshine lately, and some slightly warmer weather. I was in Concord yesterday, attending an Ash Wednesday service with diocesan staff and picking up some Valentine's Day items for the Chap!

No comments: