"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, September 21, 2005

It's Coming...

Yesterday was mild and damp--almost balmy--with more the atmosphere of Old England than New England. And even though it was only the 20th of September, I had a date with the snow plow man.

Yes, it's time to prepare for winter, although the warm colours of autumn are only starting to tint my hardwoods.

We live on a private road, meaning the town doesn't handle our snow removal beyond a certain point. And that point seems very far away during the depths of winter! Therefore, the people on my part of the road contract with somebody to plow the road, and contract with the same somebody individually to plow their driveways (if they lack the equipment to do it for themselves).

And we have two driveways.

The new snow plow man, a neighbour living beyond us near the end of the road, showed up to check out our terrain. Because both my husband and I mostly work at home, we don't have that sense of urgency our commuting neighbours do, and we don't mind if we're plowed out last.

While showing him where to push the snow, I had a flashback to the Great Storm of mid-March, which arrived while my husband was on business in the UK. I took these self-portraits with backdrop of snow mountains and emailed them to him in London, to prove that my weather whining was justified.

Here I am near the garage.



And over by the decks.



I know, these images have a creepy Lynndie England-ish appearance, and that yellow dot indicates that I'm making a very rude gesture. Normally I can deal with massive amounts of snow, but this was the second blizzard that came while my husband was away in lovely springtime London, and I was rather annoyed about that. And yet--I'm smiling! Because, amazing as it might seem, I really truly love winter and blizzards.

The snow plow man offered a very reasonable rate for both driveways. I like his local pricing very much!

As this glorious sunshiney, blue sky September day unfolds, I'll enjoy it all the more, knowing what lies ahead! But a part of that knowledge includes a faint tingle of pleasant anticipation....

No comments: