"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Weird Weather Week and Weird Dream

In the week since I last blogged, I have seen the weather of at least 3 seasons. On Friday, the temperature was in the 50's and muggy.

Here's a shot of our "Full Wolf Moon".



And one of our backyard, with the mist rising off the rapidly melting snow.



On Sunday it was snowing. Then it got very, very cold. On Monday, all that water quickly froze, because it was about 8 degrees most of the day. (With a wind chill of -15!) Of course, I had to go out, and took a quick shot of the lake on my way past.



Today, it's raining--a lot. The mist is rising off the snow again. Shadow and Lola have figured out the best way to spend this damp day...napping!



Shadow gets up to stretch.



But in no time she's down again. A very big yawn!



Shadow appeared in a dream I had, night before last. I was attending a publishing event--it was a cocktail party and dinner in New York. A few other published authors were there, but mostly it was editors and executives. For reasons unknown, Shadow was there with me. As the evening program began, we all sat down at our assigned table. I was with a bunch of editors--some who'd edited me, and some whom hadn't but whom I know.

Shadow sat politely down by my chair, leaning her body against my right leg the way she always does, expecting that I will stroke her head. Which I did. Then I started slipping her some carrot sticks. Pretty soon, all the editors were doing it too.

Interpreting my dreams is a feat I seldom dare to attempt, and I come up blank on this one. I've already written Shadow into two of my books, one historical (published) and one contemporary (in progress). If there's an implicit message it, I assume it's something about not taking her with me on my next trip to New York. She was getting more attention from those editors than I was!

My writing plate is very full. I'm mulling over a couple of articles--due in early February. Also, I'm creating a schedule that will enable me to jump among projects yet still accomplish a lot on each one. Which would be a Good Thing.



No comments: