"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, February 24, 2006

Last Days Away, First Day Back

Our lovely long stay in the American South (correct guess, Teresa!) concluded with 4 days in Atlanta, where my husband attended a conference. The city is quite familiar to me, which might explain why I didn't mind hanging out at our hotel a lot, reading Trollope and email and waiting for him to take me out to dinner. While in town we sampled enthnic delights within easy walking distance: Mexican, Indian, Polynesian.

I lived in the Atlanta area for about 4 years, during an excessively social time in my life. So when walking around the downtown streets on our way to restaurants, I would point at the various hotels all around, saying, "I went to a dance there...I remember a party in the ballroom here...that one has a restaurant I went to a lot...."

The Hyatt Hotel used to be a major landmark, one of the tallest and most obvious buildings in the city skyscape, because of the space-age blob with a blue bubble on top--which houses the revolving Polaris restaurant. (I've been there for drinks and dinner, on my way to a party or a night clubbing--big surprise!) In a fit of nostalgia, we thought about going again, but never did. Nowadays, as my photo shows, it's dwarfed by the far taller buildings surrounding it.




Here's our hotel pool. Very attractive. I never used it--forgot a bathing suit.



On our very last night, we met my brother at Trader Vic's, for dinner and Mai Tai's. I'd been there, too--long, long ago.



A photo snapped on our way into the restuarant.



After dinner, we headed up to the top level of the Hilton--the disco my brother and I remembered is still up there. So is the spectacular view.

Our homecoming was about what we expected--grey skies and wintry weather. As we headed north from the airport to our house in the woods, the light rain turned to very heavy snow--the large, fluffy flakes I so love. And then the clouds parted, and the sun began to shine in the midst of the snow showers.



Conditions on our return were so beautiful that I couldn't really complain about the adjustment from the mild Southern climate to the harsh Northern one. After such a long time away, I was happy to be in my own bed again.

I'll be reading the vast mountains of accumulated mail--catalogues, magazines, newspapers--for the forseeable future. And I'll be cuddling with my canines, whom we've just retrieved from their kennel. The girls are as glad to be back home as I am!


No comments: