"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Signs of Spring

The health report would be just too pathetic, so I'll keep it short. The good news: after 4 & 1/2 days in bed, I'm ambulatory. My eyes and head still hurt, but I'm reading again, so I can keep myself moderately entertained.

The first day of spring has come and gone...wasn't able to do my usual equinox egg-balancing trick, but that's okay.

The chipmunks have been above ground and active for a while, and the best viewing is right at our doorstep. Lola and Shadow, bored with sick room duty, amuse themselves by watching for the critter.

Here they are looking out at it.



Here it is looking back at them.



The feeding bowl is kept filled during the day.



Lola quickly gets bored with watching, but Shadow is a chipmunk fanatic and can't get enough!



We have robins in the yard. Our gorgeous red cardinal visits our feeder every morning now. The woodpeckers are very active--on the suet block and in the forest. Yesterday a pileated woodpecker was somewhere in the higher ground, chopping down a tree with his beak, from the sound of it.

My spouse attended the Monday night library meeting, and the verdict on building completion was more hopeful than anyone expected. He brought me home a Frosty from Wendy's. He had a director's meeting last night, and brought me home a Frosty from Wendy's. Tonight--planning board meeting. And maybe another Frosty for me?

Obviously it's a meeting-free week for me, by necessity. However, I've got a very important day-long retreat on Saturday--my first outing, no matter how decimated I feel. After 10 days of being housebound, it'll be good to go somewhere. Another person is facilitating the thing, so no pressure on me. If I'm not quite up to driving, my personal caretaker has offered to chauffeur me. Even if it means a quick zip into Wendy's drive-thru.

Time for my afternoon nap. (Proof that I'm still extremely direly ill. Normally I don't do naps. Naps are for little babies. And the elderly. And sissies.)


No comments: