"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Monday, September 25, 2006

Freedom! (and other activities)

This afternoon we returned Gilbert Grape to his natural habitat, after 2 weeks and 1 day of indoor Lodge living.

Before setting him free, I put some tattoos on his forehead and back, using blue and black permanent markers. I want to be able to identify him among all the little chipmunks running around. They'll think he's really cool. He needs all the help he can get, because he's still extremely small. But his little paw works perfectly, including all the fingers. When we remember what bad shape he was in when I discovered him, we're amazed by his recovery and excellent health.

I offered him a "farewell" grape.



We carried his temporary home outside, to a place in the garden where we release rehabbed chipmunks. And we provided a birch stick as a ladder.

Going...



...going...



gone!



He wandered around, hiding beneath the lavender and the lily of the valley leaves. Then he went under the deck, where he probably felt more secure than out in the open.

Now and again I step outside to look for him. I've seen a tiny tail dart into the shadows under the deck, possibly his. I've tossed out some grapes, just in case he misses his favourite food. Those other chipmunks won't know what they are!

With my friend gone, and now Gilbert gone too, things are a lot less exciting around here.

Backtracking a bit, the Chap and I attended an annual black tie event on Saturday evening. I had the hardest time deciding what to wear--he looked so marvellous in his tux, I was under a lot of pressure. One year I wore red velvet, one year I wore dark blue satin, one year I wore black with sequins. I wore black again this time, something different paired with a new beaded jacket with white accents. Our colours--or lack of colours--were very compatible.

For dinner I had the salmon, which was nice but not as good as the salmon my friend made on Friday night.

Yesterday morning we drove way, way north to attend a Blessing of the Animals service. My friend the Vicar had told me a black bear was going to be there. The antique bell in the tower rang as we approached the lovely white church. It was a well-attended service, and all the dogs and cats were extremely well-behaved. After the Offertory, we all went outside the lovely church, and waiting for us in a big wire cage in the back of a red pickup was Victoria the Bear. She then received her blessing and was driven back to the animal park where she lives with many other bears just like her.



Then we all went back inside for the blessing of the other animals, those present and some in absentia.

Our church will have its animal blessing service next month, during the local Octoberfest.

The Chap and I will take Ruth to her obedience class tonight.

Tomorrow she and I are moving up to the Cottage on the Big Lake for a few days. I'm also taking my research materials, and manuscript, and cd's, and the usual accoutrements.


No comments: