"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Harvests and Dogs

This morning the Chap had a diocesan meeting in Manchester. I dropped him off at the church and proceeded to a municipal park to photograph the Fall Mushroom Foray, one of several field trips offered by the college where I've been working.

It was a glorious day for being outdoors. Thirty-eight people had registered for the mushroom walk, and nearly all of them turned up. We set out into the woods.



People found mushrooms!



And identified them! Although there was some discussion about the difference between an "inedible" mushroom and a "poisonous" mushroom. The picture of the poisonous ones had a little skull and crossbones.

After I got some fun shots, I headed back to the church to retrieve the Chap. I met the Bishop on his way out and gave him another goodbye hug--the second in two days. (I saw him yesterday, after my lunch date with his Canon to the Ordinary.) He's off on sabbatical, starting Monday.

In the courtyard a Blessing of the Animals service was in progress. So I took photos of that, for the diocesan newspaper.



The dogs were wonderful! So well-behaved. So well-dressed!



We had lunch at our fave Mexican establishment. On the way home, we passed the pumpkin field. We've studied the progress of the crop every time we drive by.

Today, we stopped. Talk about a photo op!



Gunther the dog guards the gourds.



(I sent a Gunther photo to my editor at the local newspaper.)

We chose this one.



I'm always glad to support the agricultural enterprises in my constituency.

In our town, the apple tree beside the Congregational Church was a beautiful sight.
So we stopped again.



On arrival at the Lodge, we took the girls for a walk round our little lake.



They, too, deserved to make the most of this exquisite day.


No comments: