"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, April 03, 2008

High Achiever

My great achievement today was remembering to remove several kleenex from the pocket of my bathrobe before tossing it into the washing machine.

My other achievement was balancing my checkbook. This sounds more complicated than it was. I merely telephoned the automated bank line to confirm that my mileage reimbursement from the State of NH had been electronically deposited, then I added the deposit to my checkbook register. My balance reconciles to the penny to what the bank tells me my balance is. The entire operation took all of, maybe, one minute. But I have such a tortured history with accounting that to me this is a Big Deal and well worth celebrating.

In bed with me today I've got novels and the New Yorker and my laptop. I'm hoping my brain cells are lively enough for some manuscript work.

The snow melting outside is quite wonderful. I can now spot any number of green spikes poking up from the earth, as the flowering bulbs reveal themselves. Hard to imagine they were able to rise up from beneath all that heavy snowpack. But they did.

I can't help drawing comparisons. If they can arise victorious, so shall I--from my sickbed.

Oh, and I also see white-tipped spikes in the newly exposed parts of my front garden--early crocus. They'll be blooming in a day or so.

The purple finch was at the feeder again this morning.

Here's a photo featuring me, from the raucous authors' party I attended Sunday evening. In which I look (deceptively) healthy and alert.



We were watching one of our illustrious colleagues do 10 push-ups in an attempt to earn bonus points in that maddening quiz game. (She did!) My thanks to Lori for capturing me without an inane expression on my face, and for permission to post the pic.


No comments: