"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, February 19, 2009

It's Back

Long, busy yesterday in the House of Reps. At midday my county delegation was served the usual wonderful luncheon by our County Farm Bureau over in the State House Annex. We had a bit of a surprise when a floor fight erupted on one of our Fish & Game bills, but the vote to kill the bill came out massively the way we wanted. Once more the seat belt bill passed, by an ever wider margin than two years ago. Now it depends on the Senate and the Governor's signature to ensure that we won't be the only state in the nation without a mandatory seatbelt law. Several freshmen legislators made their debut addresses to the House.

The session finished about 5:30, just in time for the NH Dental Society legislative dinner at a seafood and steak restaurant that, conveniently, was on my way home. My grilled swordfish was delicious! Very dedicated and informative people.

I think it might be a record for me, being fed two meals in one day by interest groups. It could've been all three, there was a legislative breakfast in the morning, but I rarely do those.

The snow was already falling when the dinner and program ended, and the roads were dreadful coming back to the Lodge. I averaged only 20 to 25 mph. on the big highway, and even if I hadn't been behind two giant state DOT snowplows, I couldn't/wouldn't have driven any faster. The side roads hadn't been plowed, so there was a bit more traction.

We woke to about 5 inches of very heavy, very wet snow.




The perfect consistency for snowballs. Dogs and snowballs are a great combination. When you throw a snowball into the snow, it vanishes!



I'm officially on Winter Break (from the Legislature, not writing and not real life) so sitting at home surrounded by snow and ms. pages and research books and dogs is no problem!


No comments: