"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sunday Stroll: Roaming

We left the lake cottage around midday yesterday. I was only away 24 hours before returning. During that time I made an emergency run to the grain store for bird seed and also acquired a tomato plant and some portulaca for the cottage planters.

In the evening we attended a dinner party with a Mediterranean theme, from the starters to the dessert. Our main course was grilled lamb, and with it we had carrots and root vegetables and salad and couscous. We provided the bread, a combination of gyros bread and 2 sorts of pita, plus my own homemade aioli for dunking or spreading. Afterwards it was baklava and Mejul dates with grapes and cinnamon orange slices. What a feast!

This morning we attended Pentecost service. Here's a shub near the church door.



Nearly all the parishioners wore red, and I was one of them.

During church I remembered that I had my christening on Whitsunday, which it also is. On that occasion, I wore white.



Back at the Lodge, I did some gardening tasks. My very first rose has bloomed, the rugosa Therese Bugnet. Usually the Scotch roses are the first...they are almost ready to pop. But that's true of so many other varieties!

I missed out getting a rose photo but here's one of my bleeding hearts.



The yew is showing nearly every shade of green as the new foliage comes in.



A pot of pansies on the deck.



While picking lily of the valley to scent the lake house, I decided to dig up some of the plants to transplant around the cottage. Which concludes a rather circular journey, because my masses of muguet de bois which have taken over the Lodge property (which my permission) were actually purchased in the village where the lake house is located. So essentially I brought the plants back "home." Whether they'll take I do not know, the soil on our ridge is not very conducive to plants but if anything can grow, I suspect l.o.t.v. will.

On our way up, the girls and I stopped at our favourite garden centre to buy colourful flowers to fill our planters here on the lake.



Soon as I finished all my garden tasks, the Big White Boat made its final trip of the day past our dock.

No comments: