"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, February 11, 2011

Way Up North



The White Mountains are spectacularly white today!

I took a road trip...so I could attend the funeral of a friend, a retired priest who served well and faithfully and was married to one of my favourite people in Christendom. I'm so happy that the most recent times I saw him were at the 2 weddings of our Friends from the North Country, such joyous occasions. I know he is resting in peace now.

In fact, I am spending tonight with our FFTNC. And their dog Oliver. The Chap is on his own with our girls until suppertime tomorrow.

On the way here I drove past the Big Lake--now a very big white frozen lake. The seasonal airstrip at the bottom of our Bay was quiet, so planes taking off or landing. The bobhouses and some pickup trucks were dotting the vast expanse of what in the other 3 seasons is blue water.

I even drove to the cottage but the snow pack was too deep for me to wade through--especially not in "normal" clothes. An official visit will have to wait for another day...but it was nice just to breathe the air there, and feel anticipation build for spring and summer!


No comments: