"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, April 29, 2011

A Wedding & A Garden

One of the nicest aspects of watching a Church of England marriage service is that it allows the Chap and me to re-live our own ceremony, which was nearly the same. The newly designated Duke and Duchess of Cambridge used the 1662 Book of Common Prayer. We chose 1928 version, not only because it preserves the language of the earlier form, but also for sentimental reasons: the copy of the prayer book used at our service was donated to the parish as a memorial to a member of my family.

We noted that Catherine Elizabeth Middleton did not promise to "obey" her husband. If I seem unevolved by choosing to use the word, which is printed right there in the rite we used, I can only say that I trusted my husband never to remind me of it. He hasn't done.

Yesterday morning I returned to the Lodge yesterday with the dogs. On the way home we stopped at the vet (don't ask!) at the grain store for bird seed, and to pick up a few Royal Wedding treats from Dunkin Donuts to enjoy as our wedding day breakfast. A bit of the icing got rubbed off in transit.



I had mine with a proper (brewed in a teapot!) cup of Berry Bros. & Rudd's English Breakfast tea, which I personally import in vast quantities.

After the wedding festivities concluded and the Chap had departed for his office and I stepped into my sunny garden to record the colourful display.

Columbine (aquilegia)



Daffodils & hyacinths



Daffodils & Snake's Head Fritillary (fritillaria)



Anemone



Primroses



Roses (indoors).



My right hand is somewhat incapacitated by a recent accident (don't ask!) Although it's healing more rapidly than I expected (no vet visit for me), unfortunately I cannot manage any garden work on this gorgeous day. Otherwise I'd be outside playing in the dirt. Instead I shall sit on the screened porch and sip elderflower cordial (also imported from Britain though not by me) and study for my role as faculty member for our upcoming diocesan School for Vestries. And possibly catch up my sleep with a nap before beginning dinner prep--a dish we have often consumed in Britain both at friends' homes and in favourite restaurants. It seemed appropriate given the event of the day!


No comments: