"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Solitude

The doggie girls and I arrived at the cottage on Friday. This pair of loons greeted us in their singsong fashion, and loitered at the dock for the longest time.



In this little video you can hear Jewel fussing at me for not taking her to the dock with me, when I went down to film the loons.



It was a grey afternoon but so very humid, and the lake completely deserted. The Chap joined late in the afternoon and grilled burgers for our supper. It rained all night, sometimes heavily.

Yesterday was also humid and warm, but brighter. The loons returned--a threesome--and entertained us as they slowly journeyed across the Bay. After lunch our Friends From the North Country arrived and spent the afternoon. We headed to El Centenario in Wolfeboro for a delicious dinner.

Today the Chap went to church and afterwards will have a Seacoast shopping expedition. The girls and I are staying till tomorrow. We had a wonderful walk this sunny morning. I could easily imagine it to be Midsummer, but for the ripe haycorns and leaves upon the forest floor, and the changing foliage.

No sign of loons yet today--heard them calling at dawn--but the Big White Boat has made its first journey up and down the bay. It will be back in about an hour's time.



There's not much other boat traffic. The high Season is definitely over. The remaining summer residents are taking their watercraft out of the water and packing up their vehicles to journey south.

With a busy and momentous week behind me, and another ahead of me, I'm enjoying the peacefulness of lake living.


No comments: