"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Closer & Closer



Today is the last Sunday in Advent, though it's "only" 18th December. That's what happens when Christmas Day falls on Sunday!

Most of my recent days have been spent at the Lodge, messing about on a book, researching, enjoying the Christmas decorations, and a little bit of festive cookery. I'm addicted to Ovation channel's "Battle of the Nutcrackers"--I record them on the DVR to avoid the adverts.

When not at the Lodge--an occasional meeting and light shopping.

More ornaments from our tree:


Bruges lace and London's Big Ben.


Comedy/Tragedy masks, a relic of my former life upon the stage.


Characters from a novel of mine.



Today was our annual Nativity Pageant at church. The Chap admirably performed his usual role of Wise Man/King. As usual I was the official event photographer. I also loaned my lamb pupper to one of the shepherds. It was very popular with the other players and the audience. I'm so glad I remember to take it along!

A dinner party and gift exchange at a friend's house...the least sedate of all the parties we've attended so far. And this morning after church, our parish party--the last, I think, of the festive gatherings till after Christmas.

Our stockings are filled--dog stockings, too. Parcels are posted. Each day adds more gifts under our tree. Our Christmas Day menu is set.

The one thing we lack is snow!


No comments: