"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Another Home on the Web



One of my New Year's projects was devoted to my web presence. As the direction of my writing has shifted from genre fiction (at least for now) to other forms (chiefly historical novels), I needed to re-think how to be visible to a broader base.

So, I've created a new website, Margaret Porter. Associated with the new site is a new blog that won't replace this one at all, because it's not so much a diary as a place to share research info and authorly stuff.

I've done a Facebook author page to "like" (if you are on FB you can get there by clicking the FB logo button to the left.) Oh, yes, and Twitter. I don't tweet much at all, and I have no idea whether that will change. I've had the Twitter account for yonks but rarely use it.

Blog visitors are invited to partake of any and all of this visibility, or not. This just seemed a natural place to share the info!

On the Lodge front, not much happening. Writing stuff, diocesan stuff, dog stuff. For 2 days in a row I had some social activity (dinner party, lunch date) that was very satisfying because it wasn't associated with writing, or diocese or church, or politics. Just fun get-togethers and catching up. I hadn't realised how much I needed it, and now I'm seeking more opportunities!

Our little lake is frozen over. When we get snowfall, the neighbours snow-blow or sweep away sections for ice skating. Unfortunately we recently had lots of rain on top of the snow and then a hard freeze. Local (i.e. our private road and part of the town road) was extremely treacherous yesterday, very slow and scary going. Plus an unbelievably dense fog with almost no visibility on the state roads--very creepy, and significant traffic slowdown. Still, I made all my meetings on time!


No comments: