"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Getting Ready

Meet Hamish. He's a Highland cow ("coo") from Scotland. My mother rang me a couple of weeks ago saying Hamish needed a home. We provided one. I think she and my Dad might've got him when in Scotland a couple of months ago.



I haven't managed to get the perfect tree shot yet. I'm still working out what's the best vantage for shooting it...it's so big that I have to stand far away to get the whole thing in frame.

Lola and Shadow are already wearing their Christmas bandanas. Yes, yes, I confess, I decorate my dogs for the holidays. Almost every holiday. Lola tolerates it--she thinks she's too cool for that sort of thing. Shadow absolutely loves dressing up, she's like a little kid when she sees me with a bandana in my hand. Over the years we've assembled quite a wardrobe. Sometimes, especially on hot summer days, I borrow one from the girls to tie up my hair. (A clean one--they are regularly laundered.) I really like the toile-patterned ones, almost as much as the totally cute pink and aqua one that belongs to Shadow...only I'm not sure she likes sharing it with me.

Here are the girls, (play) fighting to see who opens the first Christmas present....



The remaining gifts to distant family members were wrapped and shipped last week. Last night I wrapped mine to my husband, and started to fill his stocking. I think he'll have some fun surprises. I keep freaking him out by giggling to myself and now he's worried that I've gone overboard and that he'd better get busy. Maybe that's why I came home this afternoon to find an early present--a lovely Crown of Thorn plant in full bloom. (He always gives me a plant on special occasions.)



The vast majority of the Christmas cards are in the post now, the rest will go out tomorrow.



No comments: