"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Indoor Garden


My treasured white azalea, which started sending out flowers in October, and was covered with them by early November, is still in bloom. Over three months...no wonder I love it so!

And now, the red cyclamen is in its most glorious stage. It was a Valentine's Day gift from my husband--more years ago than I can count. It starts to flower around the New Year, and by V-Day is a mass of red blossoms.



After days of grey skies, ice-covered everything, treacherous slippery surfaces, the sun is shining. I expected a blizzard this week, because somebody is in England and Ireland for a while and usually bad weather karma strikes the one left at home pretty hard. Personally, I think being housebound by ice can be a good thing, so I'm not complaining.

Every morning, I risk my life walking along the iced-over driveway to feed the birds with cracked corn and stale crumbled bread. Recently my camera caught a blue jay in flight, carrying away his bounty.



Another photo of mine will soon appear in the newspaper. It's an architectural shot for a change, not a travel or a wildlife one.

Tomorrow is Candlemas--Groundhog Day. I wouldn't mind the return of clouds, if that means a quicker end to winter.

Although some might say winter's hardly begun yet. The Annual Fishing Derby up on the Big Lake, which attracts thousands of people, might be postponed because there's still open water in spots, almost unheard of at this time of year. And the ice that's there is not as solid as it needs to be to drive trucks on it, and land small aircraft.


No comments: