"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Sights Recently Seen

Very little time for blogging...reading is more compatible with my schedule at the moment, and my mobility. Yesterday I polished off The Eustace Diamonds by Anthony Trollope, a "permanent loan" to me from my dad. It had been a very, very long time since I read it. I was riveted, and could hardly be called upon to do anything that took me away from it for any length of time. I tend to forget how very rewarding--and entertaining--those big, thick Victorian novels can be!

Presently, for a change of pace, I'm immersed in a very solid historical romance set during the Restoration era.

Here are a few photographs of sights I've seen.

A historic church.



A country mansion.



A city mansion.



The smallest, most mournful, and also the loveliest of our McCallum family gravestones, located in a historic churchyard. It commemorates the loss of a young son. The bent and nearly broken rosebud is symbolic of the young life so sadly cut short.



No comments: