"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Perfections



I succeeded in my quest to make the perfect Key Lime pie. The one I made yesterday was sublime, and matched my youthful memories.

With my four leftover egg whites, I made a batch of meringue cookies. They, too, turned out well.

This week's viewing of the Perseid meteor showers couldn't have been better. The night sky was entirely clear, and the only time there was cloud it was very thin and atmospheric, and didn't inhibit my view of the meteors.

Rose of the Day



Rosa rugosa Alba, White Rugosa. Quite a perfect rose, in its loveliness and it's simplicity. Dating from 1784, and sold in England around 1796, it was described as a single pure white flower, "of five petals and highly scented, followed by pretty berries [i.e. hips]." Another source says, quite accurately, "Bud is delicately tinted with pink."

It's hard to image that the pinkish bud can open into a flower so snowy, but it always does. Hardy and beautiful and fragrant, with wonderful foliage, no gardener could ask for more!

No comments: