"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, August 13, 2006

Pup, Pigs, Pies & Politics

Yesterday Ruth and I participated in the fine New England tradition that is Old Home Day. This year's theme being "Country," I put on one of my peasant blouses and a kerchief-print skirt, and tied a bandana around her neck. This is the first time I've ever dressed up like my dog, or vice versa.

the candidate and her dog dressed alike


Our red and white colours matched my political signs--big red letters on white background--and the cloth of the table we occupied all morning and into the afternoon. Most of the other local candidates for state office had tables.

Everybody wanted to stop and pet Ruth, from toddlers on up. She was so adorable and so good, and loved the attention.

It was a gorgeous day, sunny and breezy and cool, and lots of people turned up. We had a wonderful vantage for the parade. Our favourite float had a country farming theme, a flatbed trailer with bales of hay, children in straw hats, a sheep, a chicken in a wooden crate, a lovely little black-and-white calf, and a very cute pink pig in a large wire cage. There were equestrians (including a lady riding sidesaddle), also a parade of tractors and classic cars and all kinds of commercial and logging vehicles. All the participants assembled on the field for judging.

While that went on, Ruth and I left the table to visit other displays. Ours was a slow progress, with kids--and adults--darting over to ask me, "Can I pet your dog?" It wasn't long before Ruth was the most-petted dog in town, maybe in the entire state! She made a lot of friends. She's so small and so friendly, she's not intimidating to little folk.

Saw plenty of folks I know during and after our wanderings, and benefitted from sharing a table with a very recognisable incumbent who has lived here all his life! Ruth was lying down quite contentedly in the shade of our table, people-watching. The farm float was parked directly in front of us, so we had a great view of the animals. That pig was almost as popular as Ruth!

We came back to the Lodge in the afternoon. Lola was hanging out, watching the Chap carry out some tasks indoors and out.

Lola hanging out at home


Later, the Chap and I went to the park for the big Pig Roast (not the pig from the parade!) and Beanhole Bean Supper at the Pavilion.

Prepping the roasted pigs


Here's a shot of the skating pond, taken while we waited in the long line to buy our supper tickets.

skating pond in summer


People all over town make fresh pies--the selection is mind-boggling! I had a piece of rhubarb pie, and half a piece of rhubarb-strawberry. Both were excellent.

I really needed a break from the news from Britain, and from so many wars. This morning, the Sunday edition of Doonesbury almost made me cry.

Taking advantage of another perfect day, sunny and 65 degrees, I'm planning an afternoon in the garden, tackling the weeds. If they don't tackle me first!

No comments: