"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Scenes from the Lodge

An ecclesiastical picture: a monk and a cardinal.



Ruth to Lola: "Need help licking yourself?"



Whispering a secret in Lola's ear.



Went to the city yesterday for a diocesan committee meeting--my favourite committee. Good fun, good fun, a rewarding responsibility.

Because the Chap had been delegated by his co-workers to attend a public forum on education funding, I teased him that he'd "beat me to the State House." Although technically, he was in the Legislative Office Building. Knowing he'd parked near the diocesan offices, I suggested he stop in before heading back to his place of work. We had a brief encounter in the mailroom.

Are we turning into a governmental Power Couple, or what?

Official mail has been flowing in. The paperwork connected with being a legislator isn't complicated, but there are plenty of forms to fill in. I'm supposed to make 3 choices for my committee assignment preferences, I'm asked to pick out a seat in Representatives Hall, I must send in a bio and a photo for a publication, I had to decide what type of mileage reimbursement I want and whether to take advantage of direct deposit to my bank account. Plus other stuff.

I'm heading to the House later today--there's a forum for meeting/hearing candidates for Speaker. (The actual vote will be held on Saturday.) It's my chance to play Goldilocks, and try out some of the hundreds of seats in Representatives Hall. Too much choice is never a good thing for me. I sort of wish they'd simply pre-assigned the seat!

The Lodge occupants will require a different type of household calendar for 2007--one with really big blocks to accommodate our many commitments. I might begin the search this afternoon.

No comments: