"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Flower Power

It's fiercely cold outside and will become much, much colder soon. With a decent frosting of snow on the ground, the snowshoe hare isn't so easy to pick out as he used to be. But when he scampers away from edge of the fencing into the forest, I can follow his movement until he's out of sight.

Indoors we're enjoying the sights of springtime, thanks to my blooming narcissus, hyacinth, and cyclamens. I chilled and potted the narcissus myself and forced the hyacinth. For the 7th? 8th? year running, my red cyclamen is blooming right on schedule--it was a long ago Valentine's gift from the Chap. The white cyclamen, a Christmas present, is a recent addition.



Our bedroom is flowery as well, with the addition of wee Ruth's new bed. When I saw it at the store, covered with one of my favourite floral motifs, reasonably priced, and amply-stuffed, I recognised it as a must-buy.



She seems to like it as much as we do!



I'm relieved I've got several days of hibernation ahead of me, and not only because of the writing tasks I must accomplish, or my desire to admire my blooming flowers. As I mentioned before, it's going to be dreadfully cold....


No comments: