"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

If only they could all go this quickly....


Sessions of the Legislature, that is.

It was just like getting ready for the first day of school. Deciding what to wear, what time to leave, looking forward to seeing familiar faces and making some new friends.

I departed from the Lodge on time, only to discover the "Refuel" light was blazing on my dashboard. Luckily the reserve tank is generous enough that I didn't have to stop at a gas station on my way to town.

We had a party Caucus, during which all two-hundred and something party members stood up and introduced themselves by name and district and committee assignment. Then everybody else showed up and the Speaker called us to order. The Governor came in, waving and smiling. We then went into a joint session of the Senate for one purpose: the swearing in of our new State Treasurer. After announcements, we recessed.

I filled out my ethics form (stating any conflicts of interest) and received my security pin. I then wandered across the street to the Legislative Office Building to pick up my special House Rep number plates for my car and to have my photo ID made. Staff from the Department of Motor Vehicles were in charge of these operations--it was just like registering an auto. And renewing a driving licence. (Which I'll be doing in a couple of months.)

DMV typically manages a fairly flattering mug shot for me. Wish I could use the same photo from today for my licence renewal. Two birds, one stone.



But nothing in life is that simple, or practical.

I darted into the after-party for a ginger ale, three big sugar cookies with pink icing and rainbow sprinkles. Enjoyed a very brief and friendly chat with the Speaker and the House Chief of Staff.

On my way back to the forest I stopped by the Chap's place of employment for show-and-tell with nametag, id, licence plates.

I fully intended to install those plates myself, until I discovered it requires expertise with a socket wrench, an implement I have never heretofore encountered--or even touched. So much for self-sufficiency. I had to be satisfied with affixing my parking garage sticker on the car window.


No comments: