"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Mid-week News

Yesterday I attended two forums on the Governor's constitutional amendment on education, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Followed by a diocesan committee meeting.

Today, the House was in session. All votes were important, but the two most-watched bills didn't exactly turn out as I expected.

A large majority voted down the committee amendment to the "Governor's bill". We were girding ourselves for a gruelling and very lengthy debate on the seven (at least) further amendments, until we got to the bill itself, which had to pass by a supermajority margin because it's a constitutional amendment. (And then it would go on the ballot and require another supermajority from the voters.)

One representative (who sits in my row) rose and--suprisingly--moved to "Indefinitely Postpone" the bill. This is an extraordinary and almost unprecedented maneuvre. It caught everyone off guard. (Later, I heard much surmise that it was planned and orchestrated in advance, but that's not my impression.) By a slight majority, the House did vote to postpone--which, essentially killed the bill stone dead. (Trust me, it wasn't destined to pass. Everybody knew it.)

A lot of people were relieved by this outcome. Me included.

Later we did vote in favour of another of the Governor's pet bills (raising the age for kids to drop out of high school--basically eliminating it as an option.) In my mind it balanced things out.

After lunch break, we returned to the chamber to do more legislating. I expected a fairly long slog through a contentious labour bill. A couple of floor amendments were debated and defeated. Then somebody (not from my row) made a motion to Lay it on the Table. That's what happened--again, an unexpected outcome.

That wasn't all. This was the day of the Governor's party and barbeque for the Legislature and Staff. So, conscious of having defeated his pet bill, at 5 p.m. we headed en masse to the "official" Governor's residence (nowadays only used for functions).

A large tent was set up on the lawn.

After eating a hot dog, potato salad, and cheetos, I wandered over to shoot part of the facade of the house.

The Governor joined us. He did not participate in the karaoke. I swear.

He only used that mic to tell us to have a good time and thanks for our hard work.

Lots of representatives did do karaoke--there was much singing and dancing and bipartisan merriment. I've had a severe sore throat for the past two days, which is partly why I only did one group singalong, joining some female reps in a rousing rendition of "I am Woman."

I had the Chap's wee camera, took a lot of incriminating photographs! (For my own private enjoyment, I must add, not public display.)

Arrived home in a state of utter weariness.

No comments: