"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Friday, July 06, 2007

By the Lakeshore

Early evening on the Big Lake.



And early morning.



We arrived at midday yesterday--just us young chicks, the Chap and Lola remained at the Lodge. During our first walk, which occurred immediately (Ruth insists upon it) we saw the Big White boat pass by the Point--very near the shore, its horn blaring a greeting. We reached the cottage in time to see it float past our own dock. It returned around 5 p.m.

Got a lot of writing done yesterday afternoon and evening.

This morning I was awake at 5:45, thanks to the quacking ducks, screeching crows, shrieking phoebes--the usual chorus, minus the loon.

Because it's pleasantly cool and hazily sunny (as evidenced by photo above), I startled Ruth and Jewel by heading out for our walk before 8 a.m. There may be rain later in the day. It was rush hour, judging from the traffic, although that's a relative term around here. My acquaintance from the State House was headed off to work, but as I reminded him, it's nearly the weekend...and a shortened week at that.

Along the way home I picked up this interesting rock--shale, I think--with layers.



My rock was a nicer souvenir than the dead mole Jewel found lying among the leaves. The small grey body was intact, it looked as though it was sleeping. Moles are such sweet little creatures.

May this day be as productive as yesterday!


No comments: