"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Saturday, September 15, 2007

Restorations and an Acquisition

Early in the summer, I delivered two beloved family heirlooms to the furniture upholsterer-refinisher: a small rocking chair that belonged to a great-great grandmother, and a footstool that was also hers. Or her mother's. Or a different great-great grandmother. (Obviously I need a more detailed provenance.)

The rocker has particular historic significance and is destined for the offical Museum of MEP, in the highly unlikely event that one is ever established.

When I was a newborn, my mother nursed and rocked me in it. After it ceased to be useful, it languished in my family's barn and was passed along to me during my grad school years when I needed to furnish an apartment. It accompanied me on subsequent cross-country moves--to Colorado, to New Hampshire--despite being banged-up and dog-chewed with severe upholstery issues. It was inevitably consigned to the attic or cellar, kept out of sight. But I wasn't about to get rid of it.

A couple of years ago when the footstool was offered to me--in a parlous state of decay--I eagerly adopted it.

I had a Vision.

Yesterday, when I picked up both items, and saw my vision made real, I was nearly moved to tears.

Oh, the magnificence!




The rocker was made for tiny, small-boned Victorian women. I'm not as little as my great-great grandmother, but her chair is perfectly sized for me, and is more comfortable than ever. The perfect laptop writing chair.

I expect to soon be doing something else in my refurbished rocking chair....

I used to be a musician. Instruments I've played in the very distant past include: the recorder, the violin, the dulcimer, the autoharp, the piano, the 6-string guitar, and 12-string guitar. For a very long time, I haven't played anything, though I do still have the dulcimer and the 12-string guitar.

For several years I've said I wanted to learn the mandolin. I'm now about to make good on that threat.

This arrived yesterday:



It's a super-cheapo A-style mandolin, suitable for a beginner.

I've found an instructor and plan to start lessons next month, as soon as my temporary part-time employment at the college concludes.

The Program Director has already begun interviewing for her new staffer...a most welcome development.

Excuse me while I leave the computer for a soothing session of chair rocking....


No comments: