"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Untitled

My current pose is neither as dramatic or as artful as the female pictured below, but the image expresses the sort of weariness I feel.



And my brain is too empty to create a title for this blogpost!

Yesterday's economic recovery summit was one of the very best meetings I've ever attended. No easy answers, but a lot of energy and determination to succeed. A real meeting of the minds of local officials, state and federal agencies, the Congressman, and those of us from the Legislature.

It was off to the State House this morning for another lengthy pre-Crossover Day session. On the way into Reps Hall, we were each handed a daffodil. Very cheery, seeing them bloom from button holes and lapels. The one I got was tightly furled and had hardly opened by the time I arrived home so many hours later.

Our County Farm Bureau served lunch to the County Delegation and the Environment and Agriculture Committee, over in the Dept. of Agriculture, Markets, & Food. We heard from area farmers about the difficulties they face, the necessity for many of nich and non-traditional farm operations, and the benefits of some of the legislation we passed last year.

They also spoke of the ignorance and unfamiliarity that visiting school classes sometimes display about the source of their food. Even here, in this state! Cows make milk, eggs comes from chickens--but apparently there's very little understanding of this.

From my youth on up I've been on farms. We'd visit relatives who had cows or swine. We had a horse, so I grew up in stables. And for several years we kept milking goats on our property. I remember the hard work (feeding, milking, mucking out stalls) and the rewards (constant supply of fresh milk, handmade cheeses, the animals' companionship.) I found much comfort for my teen angst when sitting in the milking shed with Suzie and Marilyn, my gentle and trusting friends. Thinking back, I still hear the sound of milk hitting the inside of the metal pail....

I feel so fortunate to live in a rural location, with horses up the road, and a mixed herd of Jerseys and Highland Cattle a bit beyond, and fields of "cow corn" in the other direction.

We adjourned about 6 p.m. I could've gone to a FEMA River Study Results presentation. But 1) I couldn't muster the energy and 2) I suppose I can obtain a written report of the preliminary findings and 3) the Chap had back-to-back Board meetings after his day at the office and somebody had to feed the girls their supper!

Not too far from the Lodge, three deer crossed the road in front of me--passing from that field where the cow corn grows to a wooded area on the opposite side. They appeared to be in good shape, considering the harshness of the winter.


No comments: