"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Office Views

Grey, gloomy, chilly--not a day for outdoor photography. My camera happened to be here on my office desk, so I've pointed it at the objects in my immediate vicinity.

My cast of characters on the wall before me.



A section of bookcase.



Bumper stickers do have a place in my world, just not on my car! One was obtained right after this state turned blue in the '04 general election. The other one dates from back during the NH primary season...which seems like forever ago.

How I wish I could fast forward through the calendar one week to the election. Next Tuesday I'll be zipping about to and from the three polling places in my district. And then, in the evening, so many questins will be answered.

My errands today consist of mandolin lesson (perhaps my last one for at least a month...due to the demands of my November schedule), a trip to the "tyre centre" (couldn't resist) for switching out my regular tires for snow tires, and last of all a gathering/coffee hour with families of special needs individuals in my district.

'Tis the season--and the right sort of day--for using my slow cooker. Already the aroma of beef tips with onion and mushrooms is wafting down from the kitchen.

I've gone back to watching The Daily Show. It's long been a favourite, and the Chap missed seeing it. But for a period of time I couldn't bear to watch because--well, so many aspects of the socio-political-economic environment just didn't seem so funny. Not even to me. And usually I can find humour in almost anything.

For some reason my farcical frame of mind is restored. Also, I can't stand our local 11 p.m. newscast. So now, insetad of grumbling at campaign adverts in between "if it bleeds, it leads" stories while waiting for the weather forecast, we watch John Stewart and laugh out loud like maniacs at things that, before 11 and after 11:30, are very worrying indeed.


No comments: