"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Sad Sigh

I'm sorry to report that my little guy Roland didn't make it.

His morning activity level was very good, he was eating grasses and seeds. In between naps he moved energetically around his habitat. His bodily functions were normal, a promising sign that he sustained no serious internal injury.

However, and for unknown reasons, this afternoon he became very subdued. When resting, instead of being balled up, he preferred to flatten himself. I took this as a very bad sign indeed. He was quite lethargic.

I checked on him a few minutes ago...and immediately realised he was gone. His little body was still warm and pliable.

When I examined his damaged leg, I found that in addition to being badly bent, there was a long abrasion. One of the reference sites I visited on the web indicated that cat saliva can be toxic. I assume an infection had set in.

There was no evidence that he suffered. By bringing him to live with me I knew there was a chance it would turn out this way. In doing so I saved him from a violent death and granted him a more peaceful one. In that sense, it was a positive thing.

Since living here at the Lodge I don't remember ever losing a wild creature I nursed. He was so, so cute. I got very attached to him, and I'm sorry if my blog visitors were, too.

He'll be laid to rest in our pets' burying ground.

We're having an early supper of popovers and soup--comfort food--before heading out to our respective meetings. I'm glad I've got something to distract my mind.


No comments: