"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Trivia

My uncle: introduced me to Mozart operas.

Never in my life: have I ridden a motorcycle. Despite several opportunities.

When I was five: I expected to become a ballerina and show-jumper.

High School was: weird and boring. So at 17 I dropped out of prep school and went straight to college.

I will never forget: the first time I saw my future husband

Once I met: Barack Obama. And made him laugh!



There's this girl I know: who can remember things about me that I've forgotten. And vice versa.

Once, at a bar: near the Adelphi in London, a man went down on his knees in front of me and declared I was the most beautiful woman he'd ever seen. My husband and two friends were witnesses to this bizarre episode. I still wonder what the hell he'd been drinking....

By noon: I'm on my 4th cup of tea. At least!

Last night: I was so excited about the Inauguration.

If only I had: a completed manuscript.

Next time I go to church: I hope we sing one of my favourite hymns.

What worries me most: is my July trip to California.

When I turn my head to the right: I see a wall of research books and file folders.

You know I'm lying when: I say "I don't have anything to do today."

What I miss about the 80s is: a funky red & white top I used to wear a lot.

If I were a character in Shakespeare: I'd probably be Beatrice.

By this time next year: my next novel might be finished!

A better name for me would be: Julia Elizabeth.

I have a hard time understanding: bigotry.

If I ever go back to school: I'll have a Ph.D

You'll know I like you if: I invite you to "visit the lake cottage sometime."

If I ever won an award the first person that I would thank is: my husband

Take my advice: don't become a writer if you're doing it for the paycheck or the adulation.

My ideal breakfast is: eggs benedict. Or Scotch woodcock. Which contains neither Scotch nor a woodcock.

A song I love but do not have: Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe by Whale. (Warning: if you're brave enough to play the video, it's loud!)



If you visit my hometown: go in springtime when all the beautiful cherry trees are blooming.

Why won't people simply: stop asking me to serve on committees!

If you ever spend the night at my house you probably won't get any sleep because: you'll be freaking out about all the sock monkeys in our guest bedroom.



I'd stop my wedding for: absolutely nothing. If I were having another wedding. Which I'm not.

The world could do without: so many SUV's.

I'd rather lick the belly of a cockroach than: watch Survivor again. Because the castaways do things like lick the belly of a cockroach.

My favorite blonde is: "Cousin" Kate Winslet

Paper clips are: very bendy.

If I do anything well, it's: grow houseplants, especially flowering ones.

I can't help but stand up for: the Nicene Creed.

I cry over: more things than you would believe.

My advice to my children is: my children are dogs, therefore, "No peeing in the house!" So far they have followed this advice.


No comments: