"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Welcome, 2009!

The New Year is here!

We celebrated in the traditional fashion. Uncorking champagne makes the girls a bit nervous!




Pouring the bubbly--



For me, the First Day of the Year is one of proscriptions and prohibitions. All my life I've been ruled by an assortment of behavioural rules of various origins--Anglo/Celtic, Afro/Southern. At New Year's, eat this for luck. Don't do that, it's bad luck.

The basic philosophy and reasoning behind it all: as one begins the year, so it continues. Make sure to do the things you really want to be doing throughout 2009. Or don't mind doing.

Despite growing up in a highly superstitious culture, and spending years working closely with extremely superstitious people (actors, dancers), I don't think of myself as superstitious. I do what I do--and don't do--out of ingrained habit. I'm not sure I attach much real significance to my actions. Or inaction! But just in case it has an effect--I'm covered!

So far, I've chatted with my mother on the phone, cuddled my dogs, fed the wild birds and watched their activity at the feeders, done some indoor gardening (re-potting my new cyclamen.) Now I'm blogging.

I've been listening to music. In the cd player, Cyndi Lauper's awesome album At Last, standard love songs, swing and jazzy songs, calypso beats.



You can see the video of the title track here. (No embed allowed.)

I'll read a book, or part of one.

I'll be writing my own book.

Later we'll watch a movie. (Last night's DVD was Love, Actually, a seasonal favourite with loads of London scenery and atmosphere. Typical Richard Curtis fare.)

Something I'm avoiding: housework. Not that I have any hope of being free of it rest of this year. I only know that to do it today of all days is very, very bad luck. And I'm perfectly happy to have an excuse for such indulgent laziness!

As usual after a snowy day, it's beautifully sunny. The temperature rose (!) to 9 degrees F today, and it's violently windy. According to the radio the windchill is something like -10. No walking the dogs, so I'll be tossing balls for them indoors...should they suddenly wake from their napping!

No resolutions for me, but today I've set a couple of simple goals. Delving deep into our insanely large cd collection on a more regular basis. Remembering that the girls have a huge array of kerchiefs and love wearing them--not just at holiday time!

However you choose to spend this day, I hope it brings you joy and fun.


No comments: