"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sunday Stroll: Flowers & Lake Living

I shot the flower photos yesterday morning before our caravan headed to the cottage for our first weekend of the season on the Big Lake. I'm posting them today on the theory that there will be lots of lakeside Sundays in the future, but springtime in my gardens at the Lodge is but a fleeting thing.

White hyacinth.



White fritillary...the checkered purply one hasn't quite opened up.



I wondered what the inside of the bell-shaped flower looks like. So I positioned my camera lens underneath the flower pictured above to get this image.



I don't even remember planting this variety of daffodil. But clearly I did! They are very nice indeed.



I discovered that a flying squirrel has a nest in one of my bird nesting boxes. It often happens. She used the bark mulch from the pile at the base of the tree as nesting material. The first time I flipped up the door to take a peek, the squirrel just gazed back at me with her big round googly eyes. I dragged the Chap outside to see, and the second time when I raised the door, the squirrel squeaked and ran up the tree trunk. "It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature," said my spouse.



We arrived at the cottage around lunchtime. It was so hot, more than 85 degrees. This is unprecedented for April. We've never opened up the house so early. Water system is turned on, porch furniture is in place, refrigerator is stocked. The trees aren't even leafed out yet, yet we were wearing shorts and t-shirts!

The lake was gorgeous.



What's odd about the following photos?




Hint: the size of the dog does not correspond to the size of the bed.

Last night at bedtime our larger dog chose the smaller bed (a new acquisition, intended for Ruth!) and the wee dog took possession of the bigger bed with my McCallum clan tartan cover, to which I'd added extra stuffing--for Jewel.

I was laughing so hard I almost fell out of our bed. During the course of the night, they did exchange beds from time to time.

We also brought a new chew bone to the lake. So from time to time we encounter the mysterious phenomenon known as...Bonehenge.



We did take a real Sunday Stroll to the Point and back. Nothing particlarly blog-worthy except that the streams are very full and flowing at the moment and the woods seem very open because of the lack of leaves and tree canopy.

Not quite as hot nor as bright as yesterday.

The Chap leaves later today. The girls and I will remain another night.

Thanks for visiting. If you want to keep strolling, go to Aisling's place.


No comments: