"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sunday Stroll: On the Bay



At the water's edge, there are signs of a seasonal change on its way.

The other sign was the cars, campers and boat trailers leaving Maine yesterday morning, and headed south from the lake yesterday afternoon. In some places school is starting up. Not as many watercraft on the bay as other summer Sundays. Some will be taken out this afternoon, then taken out.

But there's no question that it's still summer...the air is so thick and heavy and humid.

The sunshine was out when the girls and I had our morning walk. We went down to the dock to admire the view.

Down the Bay to the Point.



Up the Bay.



Ruth, still training for doggie Olympics.



She goes in to cool down, or just for fun, and comes out almost immediately, shaking water everywhere. Jewel is looking for blueberries...not many left now.



We came inside for a elevenses--a cup of tea (me), a nap (them.) Then I heard the chug of the motorship in the distance--a few minutes early today--and hurried back down to dock to take a picture.



Soon as I got there with my camera, the captain sounded the horn. I'm quite sure he was doing it as a special greeting to me. (No other boats or people on the Bay at that moment.) Normally the horn doesn't go until he passes by the Point. And a couple of minutes later, it did.

The Chap just rang...he was at church this morning and is now on his way to join us. Will he make it by the time the big white boat passes up the Bay?

Whenever I look out over the water, I hope to spot an eagle like the ones on the river on Friday. However, the only birds round here are inland gulls and low-flying ducks. And the hummingbirds!

We're supposed to have afternoon storms, but I hope we get a swim in before they come.

For more strolls, stop by at Aisling's blog.


No comments: