"It was imprudent of us, in the first place, to become authors. We could have become something regular, but we managed not to.
We were lucky, but we were also determined." Roy Blount Jr

"I don’t change the facts to enhance the drama. I think of it the other way round, the drama has got to fit the facts,
and it’s your job as a writer to find the shape in real life."
Hilary Mantel

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Who's Left?



Here on the Big Lake, it's just me and the year-round residents. And the workers.

Yesterday at several houses along our road and the adjoining one, I saw handymen and roofers and siding installers. The summer people departed on Monday. On Tuesday came the repair crews to work on their unhabitated houses or cottages, and fix up their docks.

I've hardly sighted a single boat all day. A little while ago a barge passed by, with equipment used for dock or other shore work.



My house is silent also, and very still--I left the dogs at the Lodge. Yesterday morning we zipped down there to meet Aqua Boy, the guy who maintains our water filtration system. He replaced some parts to repair a leak. When he finished I headed to town for my mandolin lesson, and came straight back to the cottage. I made a big circle...or more like an ellipse.

Even though technically we're not "summer people"--we use our place in 3 of the 4 seasons--we have a contacted the furnace guy to fix a problem, and want at least one more estimate for the part of the roof that needs replacing. Our winter preparations aren't yet as frantic as the squirrels and chipmunks hoarding the huge crop of acorns. But with the leaves already turning, the coming colder weather is on our minds. Somewhat.


No comments: